Find it difficult to eat healthy snacks while watching Sunday night football? Well, look no further than this recipe for Sticky BBQ Vegan wings from the new book, Love Your Gut: Supercharge Your Digestive Health and Transform Your Well-Being from the Inside Out
Find the recipe for Sticky BBQ Vegan Wings below.
When your meat-loving brother asks for seconds, you know they must be good—finger-licking good. Unlike regular wings, these ones don’t just feed you but are also a feast for your gut microbiota. You’ll also be treated to 10 grams of plant-based protein per portion.
Ingredients for Vegan Wings
2 tablespoons self-rising flour
2 tablespoon soy milk
1 cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
1 cup (100 g) almond meal Scallions, to serve
Ingredients for BBQ Sauce
2/3 cup (170 g) ketchup
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chipotle flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. To make the wings, combine the flour and milk in a small bowl to form a thin batter.
3. Dry the cauliflower florets, then dunk them in the batter. Shake off any excess batter, then coat with the almond meal.
4. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, turning once halfway through.
5. To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer for 2 minutes.
6. Remove the cauliflower from the oven and dip each floret into the sauce in the saucepan. Return to the baking sheet.
7. Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until the “wings” are crispy and the sauce has caramelized. Sprinkle with scallions and serve.
Plant chemicals found in cauliflower have been shown to directly support the health of the immune cells that line our intestine, at least in animal studies.
Recipe from Love Your Gut: Supercharge Your Digestive Health and Transform Your Well-Being from the Inside Out © Megan Rossi, 2019, 2021. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available everywhere books are sold. experimentpublishing.com
*If you liked this recipe, tag us on Instagram or Facebook and use the hashtag #WAMRECIPE.