From “The Ultimate Mind Diet Cookbook,” by Amanda Foote MD.
Tilapia are freshwater white fish with a delicate flavor and tender fillets that are perfect for people who dislike “fishy-tasting” fish. Tilapia is a less fatty fish that contains few omega-3 fatty acids per serving, but it is still a source of omega fatty acids and can be included in a varied MIND diet. It is also very affordable, as seafood can be expensive for people who live inland.
GLUTEN-FREE, 30 MINUTES
SERVES: 4 / PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES / COOK TIME: 15 MINUTES
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (8-ounce) tilapia fillets
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup plain coleslaw mix (or shredded cabbage)
- 1 small Roma tomato, diced 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 8 corn tortillas
1. In a medium sauté pan or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering.
2. Coat the tilapia fillets with the oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper (if using).
3. Cook the tilapia for 4 to 5 minutes per side, until the fish flakes with a fork and is opaque inside.
4. While the tilapia is cooking, in a medium bowl, mix the coleslaw, tomato, and lime juice. Set aside.
5. Remove the tilapia from the pan and allow to rest while you heat the tortillas.
6. Wipe the pan with a paper towel. Working in batches, brown the corn tortillas over high heat for 1 minute per side.
7. Build each taco by filling the corn tortillas with tilapia and topping with the garnish. Serve.
INGREDIENT TIP: These tasty tacos can be topped with shredded lettuce, mixed spring greens, or baby spinach in place of the coleslaw. You can make a pico de gallo with Roma tomato, finely diced onion, and jalapeño to top your tacos. The guacamole and salsa from chapter 3 (page 30) would make a perfect addition.
PER SERVING: Calories: 266; Total fat: 7g; Protein: 27g; Carbohydrates: 26g; Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 2g; Sodium: 88mg
Excerpted from “The Ultimate Mind Diet Cookbook,” by Amanda Foote MD. Click here to purchase.